Friday, April 1, 2011

C Day is Here


     So it's C day.  I came home from school today and the boys were happily watching "The Suite Life on Deck".  I thought YES! My prayers have been answered!  Well,I was wrong.  We get 2 channels without the box (which is being returned).  Strangely enough the two channels we get in are BET and CMT. These are channels no one in the house ever watches. So I just turned the TV off.  We do have a digital converter somewhere in the house with an antenna, but It didn't do much for us the last time we used it.  I figured I might as well go cold turkey.
     Have you ever turned off the TV and noticed just how noisy it is?  We live in a neighborhood.  Now, I am not talking about a subdivision, but and ACTUAL neighborhood.  Tree lined streets with old houses, street parking, and one way streets.  We have music on sunny Sunday afternoons,  a neighborhood organization complete with a website, and a new community garden.  On any day there are lawn mowers, dogs, children, drunk frat boys ( a benefit of living near the university), cars, helicopters, firetrucks, police sirens, ambulances, people walking,  talking, and the list goes on.  I never realized how much the TV drowns out all the outside noises.  Maybe this has become part of the reason why we love our TVs so much.  They block out the outside world.  They leave us to socialize from a distance on our cell phones, Facebooks, and Twitters.  When we are finished talking there is no uncomfortable how do I get out of this moments.  We just stop texting back or turn ourselves to Go Offline.  I know personally, my people skills have declined over the years.  Do I really want to get them out for some fresh air and a jog?   Not really.  Hey!  One step at a time.  You can't cut a girls 400 channels off and expect her to transform overnight.

Julie at Yes Our Kids Eat Veggies has inspired me to go through my pantry and make a Pantry Clean Out menu plan for this week.

3 comments:

  1. Pantry cleanout didn't go so well. We ate out tonight. I couldn't handle it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting YAY! MY first comments. Mellisa it will be AC weather soon and that drowns out the outside until October. I am hoping to avoid the AC until May. It is so expensive. Julie I am going to try to go through my cabinets tomorrow. I might even take before and after pics if I am brave. I miss being at home. I am glad to be back to student teaching, but I don't get all my mom things done.

    ReplyDelete