Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cutting the Cord


      Beginning April 1, 2011 our  family will be unplugging the cable.  The cable is the first step to ripping off our umbilical cord to electronic  devices that run our life.  Do you ever think of how much time a day you spend on these gadgets?  Over the course of 1 week, the average child watches TV 1,680 minutes (28hrs)!  That's an entire day lost!  This figure excludes all the time we spend on cell phones, computers, and game systems.  If we added those hours in addition, could you even imagine???
     I am a bit apprehensive about this first step into the abyss.  My children are at very different stages in life.  How will they entertain themselves?  I think that Thing 2 will be just fine, but there might be violent withdrawal from Thing 1 (who is 11).  Aside from my children internally combusting, what will I do?  I like to read and I devour books whole.  I can make use of my  kindle to read, and other books to reread, I have my internet for school, and blogging.  I hope I take up things such as cleaning my house, interacting with my children,  homework, creative lesson plans, more homemade meals, and fun out door adventures.  We shall all see.  I may spend tomorrow trying to see if we can pick up a few channels with the antenna.

PS I am bad about proofreading when I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment